Staying fit as a busy mom is tough. Staying energized is even more challenging. I checked in with my friend, fitness kingpin FRED DEVITO, Creator of Core Fusion and EXEC VP TRAINING & MOVEMENT at EXHALE SPA to discuss how busy women can stay toned and boost their energy levels. Aside from five stellar exercises to do at home, he offered up some excellent lifestyle tips:
“Being in the fitness business for 28 years, teaching the Lotte Berk Method for 20 and Core Fusion for 8 has allowed me the opportunity to see thousands of women change their bodies using these unique exercises. Exercises that use your own body weight as resistance to build lean muscle mass and stretches that make those muscles long and lean. Core Fusion lifts your butt, flattens your abs and gives you long lean thighs. The secret? Muscle work. While our class is cardio in nature, it does so much more. By building lean muscle mass you stoke up your metabolism which, in turn, helps you burn calories and drop unwanted pounds. In a cardio or spin class you may burn a lot of calories but with a Core Fusion class, the calorie burning goes all day long because lean muscle burns calories 24/7, even when you are resting!”
DeVito also advises women to manage stress (stress causes your adrenal glands to secrete Cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone that enables your body to store fat) and to eat small portions of food 5 times a day rather than 3 big meals. This will keep your metabolism up, provide energy and allow you to constantly burn calories. Look at food as fuel and keep throwing the “logs on the fire” to keep the metabolism hot.
5 moves to do at home to bolster energy, tone muscles and stay fit!
1) Bent leg curl variation– this abdominal toner is great for all levels. Beginners should hold on to the thigh with both hands and more advanced should let go and raise arms. Do 10 crunches x 3 sets.
2) V position Thigh Toner– Hold chair, place feet in a small V, heels together and lifted a few inches off the floor. Bend knees, and move down and up about 6 inches with a straight back. 10 reps x 3 sets.
3) Straight leg curl variation- Extend both legs at a straight angle of 45 degrees. Beginners, hold on to legs and advanced should let go. 10 crunches x 3 sets.
4) Single Leg Lift in C Curve– Hold sturdy chair or counter top, legs parallel. C curve your back and lift single leg as high as you can and hold. Lift a few inches and lower. 10 reps x 3 sets.
5) Triangle Stretch– sit with right leg straight. Cross left ankle over right thigh. Bend forward from the hips. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.