Want to glean key information on how to have a healthy & happy pregnancy? In honor of PREGNANCY AWARENESS MONTH’s kickoff event this Sunday, I turned to PAM founders, Holistic lifestyle expert Anna Getty and Alisa Donner, LCSW, MSW for must-know information.
1. Stay hydrated, dehydration is linked to many birth complications including pre-term labor. It is a bit of a pain having to go pee all the time, but take solace in knowing you are building amniotic fluid. We like water, O.N.E. Coconut Water and herbal teas.
2. Keep snacks with you. Keep your blood sugar up and your mood stable by constantly eating high protein snacks. When hunger hits, it can get ugly quick. We like to keep snacks in our purses or car including: LUNA bars and almonds, nut butter/cheese and crackers.
3. Healthy relationship with your medical practitioner. Find a health care provider that you trust and answers your questions. You can interview your medical provider.
4. Exercise. Once you have gotten the OK from your health practitioner, it is important to continue with a regular schedule. Find the type that works for you: yoga, walking, swimming, Pilates. It is strengthening and toning, both important for your labor day. It is oxygenates your blood and the baby’s as well. It is helpful for blood pressure for most people. It helps you sleep better as well.
5. Get plenty of rest. Sleep is restorative. Your body is changing and a being is growing inside of you. This is work, even when you aren’t moving your body. Not to freak you out, but, you are going to need to be well rested for the birth experience and recuperation, as well as for that crucial first year, when the baby’s sleep patterns will be constantly readjusting. Be prepared for the baby to sleep in 2 hour intervals for at least 3 months.
I teamed up with Chicago’s most famous chocolatier Katrina Markoff to create Mama’s Chocolat Gift Tower, a chocolate kit based on pregnancy cravings: spicy, fruity, savory.cheesy—it has it all. Style advice and a stash of the perfect chocolates
Cupcakes? For breakfast? Deconstruction is the name of foodie Patty Rothman’s game and she is a master at profiling intense flavors and Willy-Wonkifying them into savory cupcakes that skew more entrée than dessert. For Mom’s day she offers Breakfast in Bed squeezed into a delicious cupcake: Bacon/Maple, Cappuccino, Cinnamon roll, Passion. National delivery available!
There is an inimitable dread every mom feels about swimsuit shopping. Take the anxiety out of mom’s summer by proffering her a stylish suit designed with slimming and shaping technology to make her look 10 pounds thinner!
The nautical sweater is the knit du jour for spring/summer. The length of this Isabella Oliver version makes it supremely versatile and perfect for leggings, shorts, jeans or a dress
Isabella Oliver Breton Boyfriend Cardigan, $139
Creating the illusion of a radiant I’ve Just Been To The Caribbean glow without scalding your skin is true cosmetic genius. I turned to makeup master ANDREW SOTOMAYOR to get his take on how to score that golden glow without leaving your bathroom. Sotomayor, who works tends to the faces of Kerry Washington, Alicia Silverstone, Nina Garcia & Natasha Bedingfield is known for his natural touch and ability to luminize the most sallow complexion. His clients have appeared on Project Runway, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Today Show, Live with Regis & Kelly, The CBS Early Show, Good Day New York, The Rachael Ray Show, CNN, and The Tony Awards. Says Sotomayor, “There are many ways to get a sun-kissed glow without hitting the beach. Here are my favorite products to inject radiance to your face and body! “
1. Sunless Tanner – Sunless tanner is still the best way to look that summer glow without making making you look older faster. New products offer a better color and a smoother application. Dry patches of skin absorb more product so tan right after a shower and prepare skin with a bit of lotion on the knees, elbows, feet, and hands. After that rub tanner all over and wait to dress until it’s dry. For the body, try Flash Bronzer body gel face, and for the face try Flash Bronzer Anti-Age, both by Lancome.
2. Body Bronzer – If you like the look of a sunless tan, but are afraid to commit, try Sublime Bronze One Day Tinted Gel by Loreal. Not a sunless tanner, this is a liquid body bronzer that we actually used behind the scenes at Project Runway. Massage the bronze tinted gel all over till it’s dry. The color washes off completely in the shower.
3. Sultry Shimmer – For a sizzling body shimmer, I recommend Red Carpet Kolour. It’s a total celeb favorite and WON’T rub off on clothes. Use it alone to highlight collar bones and make legs look longer. You can even mix it with an oil-free liquid foundation to for super smooth legs, truly worthy of an awards show.
4. Skin Tints – Summer months are the best time to show some skin, and that includes your face. Choose sheer products that give you color with less coverage, like tinted lip balms and tinted moisturizers. Tarte Lip Pencils now come offer color, shine and shimmer in bright colors for on the go, and Kiehl’s Tinted Moisturizers offer skincare and a glowing complexion in one step. For added dewy finish, dab all over with a wet foundation sponge.
5. Jewel Toned Eye Shadows – To beat the summer heat casual looks are always in, but to dress down with out looking drab, you’ve got to accessorize. Jewel toned eye colors are your best accessories for looking fab. Jewel tones shadows like rich copper, turquoise, or bright purple look bright but sophisticated as accent in the inner or outer corners of the eyes, or as a smudged eyeliner. Try the Bronze Azure summer color collection by Lancome.
“Politicians, mobsters, sports greats, literary scions and the glamour of Prohibition-era intrigue are the stuff of Chicago legend. But these days, from the tony Gold Coast to the gritty South Side, the Windy City has a newfound luster, born of the collision between tradition and innovation. Redefining American classics with imagination and humor, culinary daredevils have turned this meat-and-potato-loving town into a gastronomic destination. Haute retailers have set up in dramatic spaces that reference classicism within a 21st-century context. But history buffs, fear not. In this City of Big Shoulders, visionaries have always coexisted with a storied past. Capone-era jazz clubs and other historic nooks are always just an L stop away.”
ANGELENOS: Please come down to Bergmot Station on May 1 for PREGNANCY AWARENESS MONTH’s kick- off event hosted by ANNA GETTY, ALI LARTER, AMY SMART & BRENDA STRONG. I will be debuting my BUMP IT UP STYLE LOUNGE, a pop up shop of all of my favorite products! I’ll be styling women and offering beauty consults by fantabulous maternity skincare line BELLI. The piece de resistance? Cravings inspired cupcakes created for my lounge by the sisters behind TLC’s hit show DC CUPCAKES! There will be informative panels all day, excellent giveaways and a runway show that I am MC-ing produced by EXPECTING MODELS. This is a free family event with loads of kids activities so bring ‘em
Some of the best ideas are borne of a distasteful experience. The topic for my upcoming TODAY SHOW segment–HOW TO WEAR A SWIMSUIT WITH DIGNITY–came to me while I was in Miami with my kids. I was pulling up my tattered bikini-the one that has been with me for two pregnancies and countless beach visits, when the elastic snapped and the suit fell to my ankles. HORRORS!! I was going to have to–GULP–go bathing suit shopping!! Like most women that are not blessed with the Gisele Bundshen gene code, my anxiety was palpable. In fact, as I trudged to the department store (images of cellulite and baby bump induced bulges dancing in my head) I seriously considered popping a xanax.
But, I harnessed my emotions and applied styling 101 to myself selecting a suit that enhanced my assets and camouflaged the more unsightly body parts.
My upcoming segment will address the inimitable sense of dread attached to swimsuit hunting (for the 30 and over crowd) by spotlighting fab new suits with compression (built in shapewear) to whittle the waist, cover ups (great prints, lace, sheer) for those that feel more comfortable without the big reveal and how to draw attention to your favorite body parts with accessories. I’ll also dish about the beauty products that diminish the appearance of cellulite. All of my models are real moms with real life body concerns.
The sun is coming out and magazines are announcing the latest and greatest Spring trends. Forget replacing your wardrobe. The trick to maintaining your sense of style from season to season? By layering basic garments with up-to-the-minute accent pieces-the colorful drippy scarf, the statement necklace, the vintage coin belt, the gumball sized agate earrings you can effectively camouflage the fact that the same few garments are being “rotated” week after week. Here’s what you need:
VINTAGE ACCESSORIES : Vintage accessories contain inherent wow factor. Sporting a fabulous obsidian brooch from Belarus or an eye catching jangle of old school pendants adds panache and an invaluable OMG quotient (could that be Victorian Mourning jewelry???) to basics. Don’t break the bank on chicifying accents. My advice? Head to your granny’s closet (or the madcap Auntie Mame in your familia) and treat it like your own personal Saks Fifth Avenue.
LOOK FOR: chunky beaded necklaces, blinged out Studio 54 cuffs, quirky straw totes, reptilian clutches, knuckle duster cocktail rings, shawls in wacky ethnic prints, sequined lame or sequined purses and tops and as many belts (chain, coin, fringe) that can be stuffed into your overnight bag. Juxtaposing vintage accessories with basic silhouettes a If you should face resistance, be prepared to barter Friday night suppers in exchange for luxe loot.
BUY A DANGLY SCARF: The dangly scarf is an excellent style element to build up basics and inject sportiness into a look. MAJOR POINT: There is a huge difference between thesquare shaped scarves that Auntie Ruth knots waspily under her sweater set and the cool, skinny Stevie Nicks style scarf dripping sensuously from inside a knit or shrunken spring jacket.
LOOK FOR: Pieces that liven of blah basics: Thin, vertical scarves in bold colors or groovy graphics or rocker-chic scarves adorned with skulls and crossbones and/or trendy hippie symbols.
STACK CUFFS AND BANGLES: A dash of Dynasty style flash in the form of layered gold is a dramatic way to amp up simple silhouettes. Whether you are wearing a t-shirt or evening gown, a cuff on each wrist is supremely glamorous and instantly updates a look.
LOOK FOR: enamel cuffs, candy colored Hermes bangles, dramatic Bollywood bangles, Faux gem encrusted(think Kenneth Jay Lane’s) cuffs, Bakelite bangles
ADD A STATEMENT NECKLACE- Statement jewelry is what brings an outfit to life Whether its rough hewn hunks of rock crystal or an assemblage of clam shells culled from Portugal, oversized jewelry takes cojones to wear and never fails to spark a conversation.
LOOK FOR: artsy fartsy ethnically beaded necklaces, long layered necklaces of semi-precious stones, vintage pendants and cameos, chain link necklaces in gold or silver, lariats
SPORT GLADIATOR SANDALS: The clunky Jesus sandal has been reworked and appliquéd into the seasons must have footwear. The sleek, wraps –around-the ankle leather shoe has a casually glam St Barths vibe that plugs into jeans, peasant skirt and cocktail frocks.
LOOK FOR: Simple leather flats with metallic straps or a high chunky heel with simple gold detailing
Amy talking style, fashion and beauty with Lauren from A Mommy in the city at Getting Gorgeous
I had such a blast on the first leg of my BUMP IT UP STYLE SOLUTIONS tour! At GETTING GORGEOUS, my BUMP IT UP STYLE LOUNGE featuring BELLI SKINCARE, ISABELLA OLIVER, TIDE FREE & GENTLE and PISH POSH MOMMY was a huge hit!. A style expert, j’adore helping women to look and feel their best within the time constraints of a parents’ chaotic lifestyle. Not only did I get to “bump up” countless preggos, but I also had the opportunity to show busy mom bloggers my “five minute fixes” to looking longer and leaner. The trick? Some sartorial sleight of hand; creating a “uniform” of flattering basics and using strategically placed accessories to emphasize the features that you like. And, camouflage what you are not so fond of.
Here are some fab highlights and tweets from the premier BUMP IT UP STYLE LOUNGE
Amy styling Sierra Rix–a five-time mom to be
“One super fun highlight (did I really just say “super fun?”) was getting styled by Amy Tara Koch the brains behind Bump It Up – a guide to maternity fashion. Oh Amy, where were you 4 pregnancies ago?”
-Sierra, Actual Mom
Georgetown cupcakes and Belli samples
“There was no question what to pair with the mimosa…a Georgetown Cupcake, of course! I may or may not have had more than one. I’ll just say that they are like potato chips, and that is all I will say about that!”
-Sheila, Pieces of a Mom
Amy and Karla
“Amy Tara Koch, stylist and author of “Bump It Up” was in the house! She was transforming the countless “bumps” and “non-bumps” into fashionistas. She basically took my black button down, unbuttoned it to show some more skin, added a cardi and a skinny belt. Now why didn’t I think of that?”
-Karla Trotman, Bellybuttonboutique.com
Amy showing ladies how to look their best
“There was an awesome booth for Isabella Oliver Clothing. There was an amazing black sequin jacket that I drooled over while chatting it up with Amy Tara Koch. She has amazing style and even has a book but more importantly she keeps it real. She had an impromtu fashion 101 session with one of the invites as she walked by. I loved it!”
“My favorite experience of Getting Gorgeous was when I got to meet Amy Tara Koch who I interviewed on MomTrends in an article entitled “Winter Traveling Made Easy” a few months ago. Her fun and interactive display took components from her fabulous book Bump It Up and allowed Bloggers to sample cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake, test out products from Belli ( reviews on their line soon), learn more the cutest diaper bags ever by Pishposh Mommy and get styled by Koch herself!…Koch also spoke to me about how maternity clothing doesn’t have to be all about wearing your typical spandex and gigantic shirts. It’s about finding pieces that aren’t too trendy and those that are diverse enough to be worn after the baby as well as to add fun jewelry – especially towards the end, as you get bigger. I loved her fun and energetic attitude that defiantly inspired me to kick it up a notch in the maternity wear department.”
“I spent most of my time in the Bump It Up lounge with Amy Tara Koch, author and stylist, who gave me her personal style tips for looking and feeling sexy while being pregnant. She showed me some great pieces from Isabella Oliver and Lia Sophia Jewelry. She also showed me some great (and stylish) diaper bag inserts from Pishposh Mommy, while I dined on the most amazing cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake.”
I am super excited preparing for GETTING GORGEOUS, the Mom meet up of the season in NYC. Why ? I am debuting the BUMP IT UP STYLE LOUNGE a pop up shop of some of my favorite products.
I worked with YOUR GREEN ROOM to create a groovy lounge with a love seat, ottoman and uber chic high boys. I teamed up with my fave maternity fashion brand ISABELLA OLIVER and will be performing one on one styling sessions with women showing them how to “bump up” their style and dress for their body type. Guests will relax with hand and neck massages by BELLI and learn the high art of the FAUX GLOW. The cupcake sisters behind TLC’s smash hit DC CUPCAKES are hand delivering treats to my lounge Saturday morning! I will also be telling women about my popular “five minute fixes” which are a manna for moms yearning for easy ways to “glammify” within the parameters of a chaotic parenting schedule. Cant wait for tomorrow!