I hate clutter. I can’t function with piles of stuff in my office or my home. Ditto on my closets (yes, plural)! It has taken years of meticulous closet cleansing to arrive at a place of wardrobe nirvana. But, my efficient closet, having a go-to “uniform” and understanding the high art of super-accessorizing, allows me to get dressed in a snap each morning. This hyper organization mystifies my friends and colleagues. How can a fashion type exhibit such an anti-hoarder mentality? In my estimation, disorganization yields poor fashion decisions. So, when my friend ,stylist Dana Ravich told me about I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!, a how-to-de-clutter- your life book that she penned with TODAY show fashion gal Jill Martin, I felt vindicated. Looking through the book, I thoroughly agree with advice on how to create a uniform for your personal body type, situational dressing and how to “shop smart”. Of the utmost importance is the following advice “Look your best for you! the way you put yourself together affects your mood. Self esteem and attitude. So, make it good!”
Here, Jill and Dana share their top 5 tips on how to de-clutter and maintain a highly efficient wardrobe.
1. PARE DOWN. THE LESS YOU HAVE IN YOUR CLOSET, THE EASIER IT IS TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH. GET RID OF 75% OF WHAT’S IN YOUR CLOSET AND JUST KEEP THE 25% YOU ACTUALLY WEAR.
2. GROUP YOUR CLOTHING TOGETHER ACCORDING TO CATEGORY – ALL DRESSES TOGETHER, SKIRTS, BLOUSES, PANTS. THIS WAY YOU WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHERE EVERY PIECE IS WHEN YOU WANT TO WEAR IT.
3. GIVE YOUR SHOES, BAGS, AND JEWELRY A HOME. STORE YOUR SHOES IN CLEAR BOXES (PAIRED OFF, OF COURSE), BAGS LINED UP ON A SHELF, AND KEEP YOUR JEWELRY IN A HANGING ORGANIZER OR CAREFULLY ORGANIZED IN A JEWELRY BOX OR DRAWER. ACCESSORIZING IS THE KEY TO ANY OUTFIT, SO HAVE THESE PIECES VISIBLE AND AT THE READY.
Container Store Shoe Boxes $1.99-3.99
4. KNOW YOUR “UNIFORM” – THE OUTFIT THAT MOST EXPRESSES YOU, FLATTERS YOU, AND MAKES YOU LOOK AND FEEL SEXY AND CONFIDENT. THESE ARE THE ITEMS THAT YOU WILL WEAR DAILY AND SIGNIFY YOUR STYLE. ONCE YOU KNOW THIS, GETTING DRESSED IS A NO-BRAINER.
Jackie Kennedy, a fashion icon known for her signature “uniform”
5. DON’T BE SWAYED BY EVERY PASSING TREND. BUY AND KEEP ONLY THE ITEMS THAT WORK FOR YOU. TRYING TO INCORPORATE “IN” PIECES THAT DON’T FLATTER OR EXPRESS YOU WILL JUST DISTRACT AND FRUSTRATE YOU. STAY TRUE TO YOUR PERSONAL STYLE.
Trendy piece: Lanvin for H&M Necklace VERSUS Investment: Strappy Jimmy Choos