Forget boring gym workouts. Pilates is my poison. The precise, controlled movements developed by Joseph Pilates in the 1920’s strengthen, tone and align the body by using one’s own body weight. These non weight bearing exercises are ideal for pregnant women to keep the body strong and the metabolism firing. Another benefit of Pilates? It will make you the star of the delivery room. When the good doctor tells you to “push!” pilates’ practitioners will understand how to tense their ”kegels” and use their core muscles to bear down. But, prenatal pilates must be done with a certified expert. I spoke with my trainer RANDI WHITMAN of FROG TEMPLE PILATES (her instructors have undergone intensive prenatal and postpartum certification and are specialists in the field) to spotlight the many benefits of pre-natal pilates.
“Pilates during pregnancy is about maintaining a woman’s previous level of fitness, staying strong and flexible for all 3 trimesters of pregnancy. We focus on what a woman can do as opposed to what she cannot do. At Frog Temple Pilates Center, our aim is not only to keep the pregnant body healthy and fit during pregnancy, but preparing her for the demands of labor and delivery, as well as shortening recovery time postpartum.
1. Prenatal pilates promotes good posture, strength and flexibility for the growing body.
2. Prenatal pilates prepares the body for the demands of labor and delivery.
3. Prenatal and postpartum pilates prevents common aches and pains such as lower back and joint pain.
4. Pilates exercises help to shorten recovery time postpartum, helping to get your body back quicker, both inside and out.
5. Pilates postpartum teaches realigning the pelvis, strengthening the pelvic floor, and strengthening all the weakened surrounding muscles we need to stabilize and rehabilitate the body.
For more information:
Frog Temple Pilates